The view from the ninth hole of the Middle looks west, across a lovely, heavily treed valley, toward the Town of Aurora. It was from this vantage point in 1957 that Colin Nisbet, or "Pop" to all who knew him, chose the name for his golf course.
Westview was not the first golf course owned by Pop Nisbet. In 1945 the nine-hole Aurora Golf Course, located adjacent to Pop's wholesale greenhouse business on Yonge Street South, had been closed for most of the season. Pop, who was then 63 years old, purchased the golf course and renamed it the Highlands Golf & Country Club. In 1952 the course was expanded to eighteen holes and Pop's eldest son, Keith, became the course superintendent. Douglas, Pop's youngest son, managed the greenhouse business and, his daughter, Beverley married Joseph Noble, head professional at the Thornhill Golf and Country Club. In 1956, when Pop was 74, the family sold the Aurora Highlands, but Pop was not out of the golf course business for long.
In the fall of 1957 four golf holes were opened on the Lloyd farm Pop purchased at Vandorf Sideroad and Leslie Street. Golfers were allowed to play for free in exchange for their opinions on the course and by the spring of 1958 the first nine holes (Homestead) were opened at the new course. The second nine (Middle) was opened in 1959 and in 1963, after purchasing the adjacent Manser and Barber farms, the first two nines were redesigned and the third nine (Lakeland) was opened.
Pop didn't take up the game of golf until he was in his sixties and when he was in his eighties could still shoot his age. He died in November of 1974, at 92 years of age. Today, anyone who plays the Homestead nine will notice a large oak tree in the middle of the fifth fairway with a distinctive yellow ribbon tied around its lower trunk in memory of Pop and his favourite song, Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree.